Thursday 3 November 2011

Mind Gym by Gary Mack

Our marching band went to state this previous weekend, and we ended up winning. Cool, right? So now everyone is congratulating us and "honoring" us. Anyway, I'm so glad we won, but I don't think my reaction towards our win was what was expected of us. So, now I'm reading Mind Gym by Gary Mack. Its a preparation book that tell you how an athlete would preform mentally; saying that your game is 90 percent of the game is half mental. I still don't know what that means, just that your game is determined by how mentally prepared you are. Since winter guard starts next week, I hope that this book will help me to become a better performer and be able to give advice to those who haven't figured it out yet. Even before reading Mind Gym, I always have mental rules and superstitions before a contest. I don't like seeing the field before we preform, and I always sing and chew gum right during warm up and before we walk onto the stage. I always crack and neck before tosses and crack my hands before dancing. I don't eat before the game, even if I'm hungry and I don't like to know where my mom is sitting because I don't want to see her reactions. In my head, all of these "rules" that I do make me preform to my greatest potential. I hope Mind Gym gives me better advice than what I am doing, to see if I can have a great performance by telling myself that I will. I want to trust myself and what I am able to do without fearing it won't happen. Well, we'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment